Pro Bono Peer Academy
What is the CLSMF Pro Bono Peer Academy?
Our Peer Academy has been designed by volunteers for volunteers to prepare you to effectively represent clients in various areas of the law. Each Academy module will be a discreet area of law. The program consists of live (virtual) training, dedicated mentors, peer email discussion groups, forms, checklists, client interview questions, additional CLE training, practical application of learning through case representation and brief advice and counsel clinics, and networking with judges and other professionals.
Our pilot academy will focus on Chapter 7 Bankruptcies and will consist of six meetings occurring on the 4th Monday of each month. This Bankruptcy module will require casework, some light homework, and additional optional training.
- Learn or strengthen your knowledge in a new area of law
- Receive CLE training, case support, access to experts and peers, and forms and checklists
- Gain competency in an area of law to grow your practice
- Practical learning experiences with real cases and clients
- Get paired with a mentor to support your education and casework
- Access to our expert faculty at live trainings and through regular office hours and listserv
- Networking opportunities with judges and other professionals
- Recognition at our annual awards and in our monthly newsletter
- Certificate of completion recognizing you in the completed area of law
What We Ask of You
- Take a full representation case (assigned during the Academy module)
- Attendance at live monthly trainings
- Completion of two clinics during the Academy module
- Consistent contact with your client(s) and mentor throughout the Academy module
- Return as a mentor for a future Academy module
How to Apply for the Pilot Program
Please complete an application if you are interested in being a part of our pilot class in Bankruptcy.
Our first meeting and all subsequent meetings will be held on the 4th Monday of every month for a total of 6 meetings. Each meeting will be recorded. You must attend 5 of the 6 live meetings, agree to take a chapter 7 bankruptcy for full representation, and complete 2 legal advice clinics during the program. We will support you at every step of the way!
Successful completion results in a CLSMF Peer Academy Certificate in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, recognition at our annual pro bono awards, and priority access to future Peer Academy modules.
This is a competitive program, and we anticipate more applicants than number of available slots. We are accepting applications until February 4, 2022. We expect to notify applicants by February 9th.
Our first Academy meeting will take place on February 28th at 6pm.
If you are an experienced Bankruptcy attorney and would like to serve as a mentor in the Peer Academy, sign up here.
As a mentor, you will support one or two participants throughout the course of the Bankruptcy module. You will answer questions, review draft documents, and provide practice tips during regular check-ins with your mentees. You are encouraged to attend or watch the recordings of the live sessions to understand and support each stage of learning.