Replacing Lost Documents

Last Modified: 06/22/2021

Replacing your important documents that were lost or destroyed in a flood, fire, or other disaster can be overwhelming. Although the process varies from state to state, these general steps can help you get started. Please keep in mind that this list does not include every detail of the process. Some entities will waive fees for replacing lost documents or cards if the loss or damage was due to a disaster. Some creditors will waive late fees, extend payment deadlines and make other payment accommodations, if the reason for the delayed payment is due to a disaster. If you need a fee waiver or more time to pay bills, JUST ASK. 

Para español, haga clic aquí.



Government agencies usually mail replacement vital documents to your home.

If you lost your home, contact your local post office. Ask if you can pick up your mail there or request to have your mail forwarded to a temporary location.  

Visit the US Postal Service website to find the location closest to where you have been relocated. 

Find the vital records office in the state where you were born. Check to see if you can get a certified copy of your birth certificate with no identification. If you can, follow the ordering instructions.


Some states accept alternate ways to verify your identity. You may have to contact your state to find out what it requires. For example, a state may accept your sworn statement of identity. Or, another state may accept a notarized letter from your mother or father whose name is on your birth certificate, along with a copy of their photo ID.

If you do need your own government-issued photo ID to get a copy of your birth certificate, start with Step 3 – Replacing Your Driver’s License. 

Check the rules of the state you were born in for its procedures for issuance or replacement. In some states, you can order a replacement certificate online without providing ID. 

Government-issued dentification cards help you prove who you are, where you live or work, and what benefits you are entitled to. For these reasons, replacing lost identification is important after a disaster has occurred.  

Visit  for information on renewing or replacing your Florida identification. 

To replace your state-issued ID, you may visit any driver license service center statewide to renew or replace your credential. You must bring original documents that validate your identity, Social Security Number (SSN) and residential address. 

If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., apply for a replacement permanent resident card.

Click here to visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website to read more about the process, which will require you to complete and file a form called the I-90 by mail or online.

If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, follow the steps to apply to replace your naturalization or citizenship papers.


If you don’t have a copy of your original documents to submit with your application, contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at

Click here to visit the USCIS website to learn about the costs and process to replace this document.

You’ll need a certified copy as proof if you changed your name when you got married. Contact the vital records office in the state where you were married.


There is no emergency procedure for replacement so complete a regular application (Form SS-5), in person, at a local Social Security Administration office. 

First, find out if you need a replacement card.  Most of the time, you’ll just need to know your number and not show your card.

If you do need a card, follow these steps to replace your Social Security card

Click here to report a lost or destroyed passport to the State Department immediately. 

You will need to fill out a form DS-11 to apply for a new passport.  

If you need a passport to travel within two weeks, you may need to visit an official U.S. Passport office. Click here for a list and phone numbers.



Depending on when you’re traveling, bring it to either a passport acceptance facility or a passport agency or center. Some post offices accept and process passport applications. Bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or naturalization papers and a government-issued photo ID. 

Replace your voter registration card through your state or local election office. Click here for an election office locator online.

Click here to learn how to replace other documents including Medicare and Medicaid cards and military and federal employee IDs.  

Contact you bank or credit card servicer for replacements. If bank number unknown, then call the FDIC’s toll-free number at (877) 275-3342. They may be able to assist you with phone numbers for your financial institutions.

The three major credit card companies are:

  1. American Express: 1-800-992-3404
  2. Discover: 1-800-347-2683
  3. MasterCard: 1-800-627-8372


Before a disaster hits, keep an inventory of the important documents you have. Consider storing important documents in a safe deposit box or copies of them at a place other than your home that you trust and know is secure. Scan and upload them to your email account or simply take photos of them that are backed up to the web. Wherever you choose to keep backup copies of your documents, be sure that it is secure and, if online, password protected. 

The following documents are vital and should be backed up before a disaster:  

    • wills, trusts, powers of attorney,
    • birth/marriage certificate,  
    • identification,  
    • social security card,  
    • passport,
    • naturalization/residency papers.  

Other documents that you may need to take an inventory of, include the following:  

    • insurance papers (health/life/home/auto);  
    • appraisals of property, vehicle title/property deeds/closing statements;
    • household inventory;  
    • recent bank/credit card statement, utility bills, debt contracts;  
    • education diplomas/transcripts;  
    • medical records;  
    • funeral plans; and  
    • tax returns.   

To replace your state-issued ID, you may visit any driver license service center statewide to renew or replace it. You must bring original documents that validate your identity, Social Security Number (“SSN”), and residential address.  

In the Florida counties of Orange, Volusia, Osceola, and Seminole, the non-profit assistance organization named IDignity may be able to help you with a replacement plan or costs.

Click here to view their website and contact information.

Next Steps

Newsletter Icon

Check your eligibility.

Find out if you are eligible for free legal assistance.

Chat Icon

Give Us A Call

If you still need assistance, give us a call at (800) 405-1417

Was this information useful?

Please tell us why this information wasn't useful.

Thank you for your feedback!